3/11/11

ohhh the details

Good morning all! Today's post is about the details in life. I sometimes wonder if I was going to write a book about my everyday life would I simply say, "Today I woke up and began reading in Matthew about the birth of Jesus." OR, would I say, "Today I woke up to the thumping sound of my Yorkie scratching his neck and the pathetic whining of my beagle reminding me that it was now ten minutes past his normal breakfast time." Would I mention how I woke up in a bad mood but then made a choice to begin the day with a grateful attitude no matter what demands were laid upon me first thing in the morning by my dogs..not kids.. but dogs. Would I mention how I pondered for about ten minutes after reading that King Herod ordered every child two years old and under to be killed in an attempt to find and kill baby Jesus and how the soldiers that carried out that task were probably effected emotionally but had no choice because they were orders from the King...I cannot begin to fathom the details of that situation for everyone who was involved.
All these thoughts made me realize that the details are what makes life eventful and without them we would miss out on a great deal of the story.
I laugh sometimes when someone asks me, How are you today?" The general response is, "fine." What does that mean? Does it mean, I really am "fine" or I'm choosing to be "fine" or I'm just telling you that because I don't want to vomit all the details of my day on you because honestly, do you really want to hear them? I have to actively engage myself in a conversation when talking with someone and asking them, "How are you today?" If they say "fine" then I won't pry but if they chose to tell me the details will I want to listen and genuinely be concerned with the details they are unfolding. I truly want people to share the details (of course there are always boundaries) but I am truly interested in the details of their day and their lives. It's not always an easy task since it is natural to be selfish and only think of me. The Holy Spirit revealed to me that there is a lot to be said in the "details" of life. Each day we can choose to live out the "headlines" of our lives or we can take a moment and really appreciate and find joy in the details. Today I am going to focus on the details and not take them for granted. The details are not always pretty but there is joy to be found in everything and I am determined to not let satan and his ugly details steal my joy...what is intended for bad, the Lord will take and make good :) Thank you Lord for reminding me that you are ALWAYS at work in the details of my life!

No comments:

What a Life!

What a Life!
Six years together and loving every minute of it! Time has gone by so quickly and everyday I thank God I am married to you. I love you very much and look forward to the next 50+ years together. ~Amanda

Useless Information....

3-16-08 Giraffes and rats can last longer without water than camels.

3-23-08 Your stomach produces a new layer of mucus every two weeks so that it doesn’t digest itself.

3-30-08 India has a Bill of Rights for cows.

4-8-08 American Airlines saved $40,000 in 1987 by taking out an olive from First Class salads

4-16-08 By raising your legs slowly and lying on your back, you cannot sink into quicksand

4-23-08 Negative emotions such as anxiety and depression can weaken your immune system.